Production 2 (BHER Students)
Based on our zoom conversations this week, please write a short critical reflection (on your article of choice) that addresses a key idea(s) in the reading. Consider the prompts below, or develop your own thesis or response to the article (based on your own experiences, interests, location, and so on).
de Castell, S., & Luke, A. (1986). Defining literacy in North American schools
- What do the authors argue about literacy paradigms (in changing historical contexts in North America): that is, how do different literacy and curricular paradigms express different social, political and ideological systems or points of view?
- Connect, compare and/or contrast the literacy paradigms (classical, progressive, and technocratic) to historical trends and present debates in Kenya (or East Africa)? How would you describe competing paradigms or models in Kenya (including colonial systems, or the recent competency-based reform) or consider other educational models you have engaged during the BHER program?
Cope, B. & Kalantzis, M. (2009). ‘Multiliteracies’: New literacies, new learning.
- Break down some key aspects of the Why, What and/or How of the ‘multiliteracies’ model. For example, what is the significance of concepts like multimodal literacies, ‘re/design’, and/or key ideas like ‘situated learning’ and critical framing? What do you make of it?
- Possible connections between Multiliteracies and previous readings (complexity pedagogy or indigenous knowledge systems)?
If you read both articles, feel free to make connections between the articles – and feel free to connect the readings to your own experiences or readings from other BHER courses! Please use one or two key quotes/passage from this week’s readings to build arguments.
Due by start of class, February 7 [BHER Due Date]
– 500-600 words (i don’t count words, and if you go over, i don’t care). write well (formal style).
Production 2 (Toronto Cohort Only!)
SLIDE DECK.EDUC 5855 2020 Class 3
For this production, we are continuing our inquiry into technology – and the ecological impacts of a new technology – in educational contexts. On the wiki, you will find a list of technology terms (taken from the slide below). Your job is to do some critical inquiry (research) and to determine how the technology re/shaped social and organizational relations in schools (and outside of schools, too, if applicable. Please address the simple questions briefly:
1) When was your technology/media tool invented?
2) When was it first used in education (and how)?
The substance on of wiki essay or analysis should focus on”
3) How did the technology/media tool (re)reshape educational practice and teaching/learning – or transform literacy learning and/or social-institutional-classroom organization? (Changing roles in classrooms, changing positions of authority, power relations, modes of exclusion or inclusion, ideology and modes of social action or creativity?
4) If possible, try to connect your analysis to the literacy paradigms (de Castell & Luke, or Multiliteracies).
You may need to SPECULATE on issues relating to #3 above! Use the readings and our discussion in class, too, as the readings also discuss technology and ecological change in similar ways.
Have fun! Here is the SLIDE DECK.EDUC 5855 2020 Class 3